Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vacation and Alcoholism



When we checked into the hotel, the desk clerk said, “Blah, blah, blah and the pool hours are blah, blah, blah.  You can park blah, blah, blah and HERE ARE YOUR DRINK VOUCHERS, GOOD FOR SIX FREE ADULT BEVERAGES PER NIGHT FROM OUR BAR.”

My first thought was, “Wow, funny how that got my attention.”  My second thought was, “It’s a shame those will go to waste.”  My third thought was, “I can’t pass up all those free drinks.”  My fourth thought was, “Hubby won’t even use them.”  (He's practically a non-drinker, but not an alcoholic.)  My fifth thought was, “These are crazy thoughts!”

So, there you have it folks.  Six years into sobriety and I can go from zero to crazy in five or less consecutive thoughts!  Does this mean I am not working a good recovery program?  Does this mean that the suggestions I follow are bogus?  Does this mean I am doomed to drink again?

Naaaahhh.  It just means I am an alcoholic. 
So, what happened to those crazy thoughts I was having in the hotel lobby this week?  I told someone about them ASAP and then they went away.  Then I continued on for the rest of the week taking the actions necessary to improve my spiritual life so that, God-willing, the next time (and there WILL be a next time) I find myself having those thoughts, I will stay sober for one more day, one day at a time.

I am so grateful to be sober today.  God is good!

2 comments:

  1. Well, guess you're just like bill too. He was in a hotel lobby once, he made a couple of phone calls and voila alcoholics anonymous was born.

    :)

    Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being in Puerto Rico in a hotel lobby and there were free daiquiris. I drank four of them. I learned from that to avoid free drinks. Glad that you made the choice to call on the program and stay sober for that day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!