Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Reality Check




My meditation reading yesterday talked about reality. The author, Karen Casey, writes:

Reality is not our bane but our gift. The particular reality perceived by any one of us is of special significance because in that reality are our lessons --the very lessons that will awaken us to the awareness that what life offers is just what we deserve, and more.
For most of my life I have been in denial of my own reality.  I have a “perceptual disease” meaning that my perception of reality is often misconstrued by my fears, insecurities, and ego.  In the past, my beliefs--based on false realities--often lead to resentments, irritability and discontent, which lead me to either use alcohol to escape the pain of these false realities or into the depths of depression and despair or both.   The program says, “our troubles are of our own making.”  How true this is for me!


A friend of mine once told me that when an interaction occurs between two people there are three sides to the story:

  1. the first side is what one person says happened
  2. the second side is what the other person says happened
  3. and the third side is what really happened!
The 12 Steps also help me weed out self-centered thinking from reality and give me the actions to deal with reality no matter how difficult it is. 

I am so thankful for this program! I finally have a way to deal with life that won’t kill me in the end!

3 comments:

  1. The 12 step program of AA is awesome. I have not been through it, but have family that has. It has made such a difference in their life and those around them. So glad that you are in it and it is giving you hope. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am so grateful for Al-Anon where I have learned to see reality without fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say hi. I deal with depression and am in recovery (42 days sober, still pretty new). Found your link through Steve's blog. I will send you an invite to read my blog if you want. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!